|Without Baggage we felt to be in Space!!|
As a family, I was glad we took this vacation to Bali this year in January even when our daughter was just 2 years 2 months old and believe me, it was absolutely, so much fun. In-spite of rough start, you see, baggage not arriving after a long international flight, and with a kid can certainly be a point of distress.
But I am glad, we did get our bags next day. I fear what all we had to buy if we had lost our baggage. God knows how expensive it would have been! Well you know what, it would have still been alright, that’s the reason I had taken travel insurance ahead of time. And it paid also! I think there is this stuff I need to tell our reader from this episode.
Now when our baggage did not turn up along with us, it was a moment of panic. After all we were travelling internationally, were tired and had a 2 year old infant with us. When we approached airlines staff – they were of no help and asked us to file a complaint so that they can try tracking our luggage. So I did and with a heavy heart, resorted to proceed to our hotel without our luggage that night. I knew that we were covered for both loss and delay of luggage so in my mind I made a point to lodge a claim whenever possible.
- Take travel insurance. Remember Murphy’s law, if anything can go wrong, it will.
- Make sure each traveler’s luggage is registered separately when checking in. The baggage tag identifies the name of the traveler and for insurance claim (especially in case of loss), it will be important that the tags are unique per person traveling.
- Preserve all travel documents – boarding passes, baggage tags, receipts of any emergency purchase carefully until return.
- Claim early should you have to.
- When your baggage is delayed (potentially lost), make sure you file a report – this is known as PIR Passenger Incident Report in airlines/insurance terminology. Keep a copy and make sure it is correctly filled and signed/stamped by airlines.
- Should you are lucky to get your baggage back, do take the baggage delivery receipt for records. Please note that there is cooling period – in my case it was 12 hours. This means that for delay of 11 hours they will not pay anything. For this reason it is advisable to take an insurance policy with as little cooling period as possible.
Do share anything useful I missed in comments for everyone’s benefit!